Senior Backend Engineer
Who are we?
Vestwell provides every employee in America with access to a retirement account by removing the friction points financial advisors and companies have in establishing and maintaining defined contribution & benefit programs. We look out for everyone’s best interest, including financial advisors, companies and employees.
Vestwell is at the forefront of a wave of change in a $6 trillion 401(k) market; creating a new platform that lowers fees and ensures that individuals retire wealthier. We’ve raised some money from great investors in the Fintech and Finserv world to achieve this goal and are already getting a great response from customers.
Who are we looking for?
Ideally you know 3 languages… well. At Vestwell, the ideal trifecta is 4-5 years of experience or more with Scala, Java, and/or Ruby. If you’re a jack of all trades, even better. You should be familiar with building and consuming APIs, integration with financial API’s, Kafka or other queue systems, Postgres, Agile development, AWS, Jenkins, Docker, Git, Jira. The best thing about you is your passion for early stage startups where your impact will be large, visible, and immediate.
Day-to-day, you will bring new perspective, overall experience, and deep expertise to the team. You’re a hands-on engineer (ready to roll up your sleeves) who will be responsible for leading critical initiatives as well as architecting and building new features and functionality. We have an exciting year of growth ahead of us so help us scale in a secure, manageable way with high performance and efficiency consistently top of mind. Through your knowledge, judgment, and experience, you’ll uplevel the team daily and function as an example/mentor to junior team members.
- Functional Scala/Akka, Postgres, AWS, etc.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills are a must
- Strong attention to detail and a passion for creating a top-notch production environment
- CS related degree or equivalent work experience required
- Financial services experience, experience in the retirement field would be ideal
- Node.js, Jenkins, Kafka, Docker, Github, Jira, Agile, ELK, Reporting Frameworks
- Prior startup experience, preferably somewhere fast-paced and seed stage
- Any FS certifications are a plus, eg: Series 65, Series 7, CFA, etc.
We’re an early stage startup with lots of exciting milestones ahead. We value health and wellness at Vestwell and, as such, offer competitive health coverage, an open vacation policy, coffee, cappuccino & healthy snacks, and a bright, comfortable office with lots of workspace options so you can be comfortable and as productive as possible. And naturally we have a great 401(k) plan!